Spring is here, my allergies have taken over my face, my deadline is looming, WHAT BETTER TIME FOR A NEW BAA MIX???? If you listen to anything, listen to Kendrick Lamar, OBVIOUSLY.
I’ve been horribly lax about posting up this mix. It’s a meld of songs from early winter and late winter, but a lot of these will probably show up on the Book 3 playlist. Favorites include Never Loved Me and Higher. Enjoy!
- Cold War Kids: Love is Mystical
- K. Flay: Blood in the Cut (Commandant Theme Song)
- Lea Porcelain: Bones (Reminds me of 80s punk rock)
- Missio: Middle Fingers (Ridiculous after 2 listens and I always skip it when it comes on now, but made me laugh the first time.)
- Griffin Oskar: Never Loved Me (Laia theme song!)
Ah, yes, fall in California, a time of endless raking, ridiculous drinks, and an overuse of sweaters in weather that doesn’t really merit it. And yet I still love it. Mostly because fall is when all the BEST albums come out.
Looking at this now, I realize that it’s a bit dude-heavy. Sorry. I also left off Glass Animals, tho I do like their new one. But you all know about that album, judging from the number of people who have mentioned it to me, so hopefully you don’t mind.
If you listen to one song–War, by Nas.
- Nas Feat Raye: War (I mean, it’s Nas, what else do you want.)
- Kings of Leon: Waste a Moment (Caleb’s voice aaaaaaaa *dies*)
- 888: Crucial Mistakes (Great Video. Very early-2010s anthem rock, but I like.)
- Colter Wall: Sleeping on the Blacktop (Nobody says “moon” like Colter Wall)
- Grouplove: Good Morning (Why is everything they do so great? Total Laia song.)
- Atlas Genius: A Perfect End
There is nothing like listening to a new mix right as you set out on an adventure. If you’re going to listen to one song, then it’s a tie between Fiction and There Will Be Time (Live in South Africa version, plz) because both are incredible. In fact actually, the whole Kygo album is great so just get it. Oh and the new Grouplove is pretty great.
- Kygo Feat. Tom Odell: Fiction (OB-SESSED. But annoyingly, this is just a snippet, and it’s not on youtube, so you’ll have to trust me that it’s amazing.)
- Grouplove: Welcome to Your Life
- Mumford and Sons & Baaba Maal: There Will Be Time (This is the M&S I know and love)
- DREAMERS: Sweet Disaster
- The Middle East: Blood
- Sigur Ros: Ovedur (Jonsi ily you amazing man. Also if watching the video and you want to skip the first two weird minutes, you won’t miss any of the song..it starts around the 2 min mark. )
- FIDLAR: Sabotage (Cover, but oh what a cover.)
- Carter Burwell: Trees Have a Life (I have loved this instrumental piece since 2000, when I first heard it in Before Night Falls. But I’ve never been able to find audio of it that I can download to iTunes, which is really frustrating. If anyone knows where I can get an mp3 of it PLEASE TELL ME)
- Kaleo: Way Down We Go
- Brand New: I am a Nightmare
- Juicy J, Wiz Khalifa and TM88: Bossed Up
- Death Cab for Cutie: Good Help (Is So Hard to Find) (How do they keep making such amazing music after so many years.)
- Kygo Feat. James Vincent: I’m in Love
- American Authors: Right Here Right Now
- Good Charlotte: Life Can’t Get Much Better
- The Head and the Heart: All We Ever Knew
- Twenty one pilots: heathens
- Indigo Girls: Galileo Horrible video but just listen to the audio on it
- DMX: Blood Red
- The Naked and the Famous: Higher
- Austin Jones: Welcome to the Black Parade (acapella) Don’t listen to a lot of acapella, but this is a pretty interesting rendition of one of my fav songs.
- My Heart Borns: Dug My Heart I didn’t love this one at first, but it grew on me.
I was in the writing cave for the past 8 months or so, so while I was listening to music, I never had the time to put it all in one post. So this is a weird hybrid mix of stuff I’ve listened to during that time, divided into Winter and Spring.
If you’re going to listen to one song—Water by Ra Ra Riot. Wait, also the Smells Like Teen Spirit cover from Freedom Fry because holy $h!t. Favorite line is from “Shovels & Dirt” by the Strumbellas: “I gotta a head full of darkness and darkness is good.”
- Ra Ra Riot: Water (This was my theme song all the way through the end of writing TORCH)
- Bob Moses: Tearing Me Up (Another TORCH theme song!)
- Bishop: River (OK THEY ARE ALL TORCH THEME SONGS WHAT.)
- Farro: On a Wire
- Grimes: Venus Fly (feat. Janelle Monae)
- Grimes: Kill V. Maim (This. Song. Is. Life. Also my 6yo is weirdly in love with it.)
- Beach Slang: Bad Art and Weirdo Ideas
- Julien Baker: Something (sobs)
- A$AP Rocky: Everyday (Just ignore the fact that Rod Stewart is in this song and it’s so great)
- Vance Joy: Mess is Mine
- The Lumineers: Ophelia (very sing-able, so warning, if you have children they will start driving you crazy with the chorus.)
- Freedom Fry: Smells Like Teen Spirit (Thank you KCRW).
- Marvin Gaye: Sexual Healing (Kygo Remix) (I don’t know why I love this song, but I absolutely blame April Tucholke and Maggie Thrash.)
- Bon Jovi: Living on a Prayer (Teaching the kids to air guitar and this seemed fitting for instruction, and then I remembered how great it was so here it is)
- Rae Sremmurd: Look Alive
- The Strumbellas: Shovel & Dirt
- The Strumbellas: Spirits (I GOT GUNS IN MY HEAD AND THEY WON’T GO)
- The Brinks: Temporary Love
- Boosie Badazz & C-Murder: God, I’m Sorry (A man’s convo with God.)
- Lewis Del Mar: Malt Liquor (So obsessed with this song)
- School of Seven Bells: Open Your Eyes (The back story to this whole album is so damn sad. http://www.stereogum.com/1840511/out-of-the-desert-school-of-seven-bells-final-chapter/franchises/interview/
- Basia Bulat: La La Lie
- The Young Wild: Not a One
- Fitz & the Tantrums: Handclap (YASS FITZ)
- Miike Snow: Ghengis Khan (Obviously)
- Beyonce: Formation
- Oasis: Champagne Supernova (Idk, I just remembered it and then started listening to it obsessively exactly like in 9th grade. Weird time warp. Also, this video is so horribly 90s OMG. )
Woo! Fall and Winter Mix! A lot of songs that build to magnificence on this one, including “Hello”, “Devil’s Whisper” and “Seven Hours”. And new Joanna Newsom, yes! I always learn new words when I listen to her.
Let’s see, if you listen to one song, it should definitely be Adele, but as most of the planet has listened to that song, my second choice would be “Male Gaze.” Wait…no, it would be “Sitcom.” Actually, no “Magnets.” STOP MAKING ME CHOOSE. Ok, ok, final answer…..”Devil’s Whisper.” B/c it’s different and awesome.
Baa Mix 85:
- Adele: Hello (or, Hallo, as she so charmingly croons it. If you haven’t seen it, WHAT ARE YOU DOING.)
- Borns: American Money (lyrics are a little basic, but it’s smooooth).
- Borns: The Emotion (oh the angst.)
- The Zolas: Male Gaze (The Zolas can do no wrong, imho)
- Raury: Friends (this video looks like it was a blast to make)
- Raury: Devil’s Whisper (OMG when that bass kicks in at 2:23, holy wow.)
- Wolf Alice: Moaning Lisa Smile (Video is awesome)
- Firekid: Magic Mountain (Is he talking about the theme park? That’s what I think of…)
- Forest Blakk: Love Me (Love Me) (Couldn’t find this one on youtube either, or soundcloud, but I promise it’s good. Not my usual jam, but it spoke very powerfully to one of the characters in TORCH. Reminds me a lot of “Reverse” by SomeKindaWonderful)
- Baio: Sister of Pearl (This original vid is so awkward that I put in the KCRW live version, which is quite stunning in its own right.)
- Joanna Newsom: Leaving the City
- Nothing But Thieves: Wake Up Call (The hook on this is surprising compared to the rest of the song and I love it.)
- Seinabo Sey: Younger (Kygo Remix) Though the original is great too.
- FFS: Police Encounters (This band is just so fun)
- Coleman Hell: Sitcom (couldn’t find a vid or soundcloud for this one, but trust me, it’s good.)
- Jack’s Mannequin: My Racing Thoughts
- LCD Soundsytem: I Can Change (This is an old favorite. Weird, yet strangely compelling)
- Blondfire: Pleasure
- Little May: Seven Hours. (Builds to an incredible ending.)
- Disclosure ft. Lorde: Magnets